Monday, September 29, 2008

Why I can like college football without really liking college football.

So, my Utes won. Again. Undefeated this season. Exhilerating, right?

For the first time in my fan career, I'm actually following the rankings. Gasp, you say, how can I call myself a true fan?

This business of attending football games began as a student over thirteen years ago. I would go to the games because my friends would, and within a quarter or two, the excitement and energy that comes from live sports would overcome my being, and I'd cheer til I was hoarse, and cry when we lost. Well, not literally, but would become disheartened, and it would be a very long, quiet ride home.

Then I had many many years of motherhood, oh, and Mormonhood, and I forgot about these games. The closest thing I had to live sporting events was the "Beez" (baseball....minor league....) or the "Buzz" or whatever the hell they were called, and the Grizzlies (which is hockey). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE hockey, but for some reason my heart just isn't the same as when I go support my Utes.

Several years ago, at least four or five, I began to go to the games again. I bought a group of four season tickets. The next season I bought a block of eight. I was there when Alex Smith led our Utes in an undefeated season (sometime have me tell you about chasing him down in San Francisco and getting him to sign his rookie jersey. He was in a car, I was on foot...), and I was also there the following year when we had to swallow defeat after defeat. I have been there in sun, I have been there when it's snowing so hard you have two inches gathered in your lap that melts on your snow pants and chills you literally to the bone.

Why do I do it? Why do I care?

I really don't know the answer to this. Perhaps it's believing in something other than myself. It's probably the feeling one gets in being in a group of thousands of people that (at least on the surface) are just like you. They're dressed like you, they cheer when you do, they gasp in unison.

Game day has become a religious holiday in our home. Whether home or away, we dress in red (I even have game day flip flops or sneakers, depending on the weather), and we always make sure to watch the game. When they are home, I pack up the "spirit bag" or "spirits bag" depending on if I smuggle....and it becomes an eight hour production. What with tailgating and such.

And I love every minute of it.

So don't judge me when I can't quote statistics, roster names, play by play recaps. To me it's not about the actual sport, it's about the community. Bolstered by the sport, for sure. And our love for these kids that are doing their best to represent their fans.

I'm proud to call myself one. I'll continue to be a Ute. Come rain, shine, drought, prohibition, snow, and BYU. Bring it.

No comments: