Thursday, September 4, 2008

Therapy at the Airport

Okay. I believe that keeping everything in is harmful to the soul. But I'm WAY too cheap for therapy. Granted, I'm a talker as it is...most of my friends can attest to that. But believe it or not, I do keep some things mostly to myself.

I'm a supporter of going to a therapist. Problem is, I don't want to be analyzed. I don't want your opinion, necessarily, that's what my girls and my witch are for. What I just need to do sometimes is flush all the toxic waste out of my soul and start with a clean slate.

Some of you go to church for this. Or confession. Or your bishop. If you are comfortable with this, then props to you. I, on the otherhand, do not feel like this is an option for me. These people KNOW me, for heaven's sake. I don't need them sniffing through my dirty laundry. I guess I could tell God directly, but again, let's be honest. He's kinda a judger. Plus, he already knows anyway, no need to rehash it with him.

My solution? I unload my secrets in the airport. Yes. The airport. I sit at the bar while waiting for my flight and tell the person next to me things I need to get off my chest. I unload everything that nags at my being, every stupid mistake or misjudgment I've had to a TOTAL STRANGER.

Why does this work? This person doesn't know me from Adam. She doesn't know my friends. She can't go tell someone else that knows me what I've just told her. Who cares what she thinks about me as a person. I'm not looking for a friendship. I don't need affirmation. I just need a human ear.

Interestingly enough, I've actually had some pretty amazing advice from said stranger. If you think about it, it's someone who lives in a completely different environment, was raised with completely different values, and looks at life differently than I or my friends do. Of course, sometimes I've had some pretty stupid advice (which I obviously discount and just smile knowingly). But regardless, it's nice to hear what someone else has to say.

The best part? When my flight is called, I stand up. Say goodbye. And WALK AWAY. Typically with a smile on my lips and a mending on my soul.

1 comment:

Amy Hilton said...

Then there is the opportunity- serendipity if you will- of calling up that old friend and finding that the roots you imagined had shriveled a bit have actually choked off some weeds and grown in just the same direction without any apparent influence at all! That is a salve to the soul.