Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kids


Having children is one of the most amazing experiences of our lives, and at the same time one of the scariest. The responsibility that comes with being a parent is almost heart paralyzing, and definitely sleep depriving. It is not a task for the weak, but fortunately we are biologically strengthened when hear that heartbeat, and first smell the scent of our offspring. We are then given a gift of love that will fortify our souls in order to bear the duty of raising our young.

Thank God.

There are days that I'm not sure if I'm raising my children, or if they are raising me. My children have some gifts that over time I'm sure will be jaded but for now are so intrinsic to their natural selves that we, as adults, ought to watch and learn, and listen...and maybe take these lessons into our hearts and apply them.

What lessons you may ask? What emotions and/or traits? Here are a few things I need to learn from my kids:

Everyone is a friend. Have you ever watched a child in a new environment? A friendship begins with a few simple words: "Hi, what's your name?" That's the extent of it. Everyone is accepted...everyone is welcome. You give the benefit of the doubt.

Forgive and let go. My kids are constantly beating the crap out of each other, and occasionally their friends too. It happens. Frustrations surface. But beat the shit out of each other and get over it. I'm amazed that they'll have a huge brawl, and then fifteen minutes later, they're all sitting in a row talking about sports.

It's okay to cry. When your heart hurts, let it out. Don't keep it inside. Cry, and then go get a popsicle.

Say "I love you". I found this hard to bear when my kids were super little, because they would tell their friends that they loved them. I was worried that the other moms would not let my children play with their kids. But let's face it. When we get older we say it to our adult friends, here and there, anyway. But we do love our friends. Sometimes more then our family. So say it...don't spray it.

It's okay to laugh at others' mistakes. We are often embarrassed for others and choose to ignore the mistake, which almost makes it worse. Let's just laugh. Enjoy the moment. Because tomorrow I'll make an ass out of myself. So laugh at me then.

Differences are okay. You can use adjectives that describe other people, such as "brown, short, fat" because that's who they are and that's okay. You know what? I have a big nose, uneven ears, and a voice that sounds like I'm four. But if someone told you, "you know, the girl who has a big nose, uneven ears, and sounds like she's four" you'd know exactly who he was talking about, right? Cuz that's who I am. So. What. Don't be offended.

Ask questions. When you don't know, don't be embarrassed. Ask. It's amazing the facts you'll discover and the different things you'll learn.

And when you hear music? Dance. Dance like there is no one watching. Dance until you can't breathe. Let it all out.

Because really. Who cares?

Only you. So live with your heart. Let others' know you care. Learn everything you can, and forgive and forget. Lessons my children have taught me in the course of one day. I'm so very, very lucky.

No comments: